Benefits of Magnesium
Magnesium is considered one of the most beneficial supplements available. It is an essential mineral that is involved in over 350 metabolic reactions. It is an anti-stress nutrient as it inhibits the sympathetic nervous system, whereas calcium tends to fire it up. It provides relief from aliments such as PMS, poor thyroid function and depression. Magnesium is used in important processes such as the conversion of energy from carbohydrates, fats and protein, the production of healthy DNA synthesis, blood sugar balance and bone health.
Interestingly the human body can only store 1% of magnesium. It is therefore difficult to diagnose a deficiency in a blood test as it rarely shows up.
Calcium and magnesium should exist in a 2:1 ratio in the body and both are required in balance. Vitamin D helps the body absorb magnesium so you need to have both.
If you are stressed out, your body will use up and excrete magnesium at a higher rate than other people. If this is happening, it can lead to feeling tired, weight gain, muscle cramps, nerve twitching and irregularities in heart rhythm. Low levels of magnesium can lead to chronic fatigue type symptoms, low mood, anxiety, eye tics, insomnia, high blood pressure, muscle cramps (which can be due to low calcium too), a poor tolerance to dealing with stress, PMS, menstrual cramps, headaches/migraines, asthma and dizziness to name a few.
The types of magnesium which are easily absorbed and used by the body are: –
- Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate
- Magnesium Di-glycinate
- Magnesium Citrate
- Magnesium Orotate
The recommended daily dose of magnesium is 420mg for men and 320mg for women.
One great source of magnesium is dark chocolate. A high quality 100gm bar of dark chocolate would contain around 170mg of magnesium. Other foods which are high in magnesium are broccoli, dried seaweed, leafy green, raw cocoa, wheatgrass, nuts (Almonds, cashews, hazelnuts and sesame seeds), beans, lentils, whole grains (millet, brown rice and quinoa) and avocados.
Other sources are – figs, banana, raspberries, legumes, peas, green beans, salmon, maceral, tuna, tofu and baked beans
The benefits of taking magnesium are:
- To support a healthy immune system
- Bone health – Magnesium is important for bone formation as it helps to assimilate calcium into the bone and plays a role in activating vitamin D in the kidneys.
- Calcium absorption – both calcium and magnesium are important in maintaining bone health and preventing osteoporosis. Without magnesium a high intake of calcium can increase the risk of arterial calcification and cardiovascular disease. As well as kidney stones.
- Diabetes – As magnesium plays a role in carbohydrate and glucose metabolism it can also impact the risk of diabetes.
- Heart health – the health of muscles relies on magnesium. The heart is a muscle so is reliant on it too, as does the transmission of electrical signals in the body.
- Migraines and headaches – it has been shown that magnesium can relieve or prevent headaches. The amount is likely to be high so it is important that you consult your health professional before taking.
- Premenstrual syndrome – An adequate intake of magnesium, along with vitamin B6 may help alleviate symptoms of PMS. These symptoms may include bloating, insomnia, leg swelling, weight gain and breast tenderness.
- Relieving anxiety – Research has shown that a low magnesium diet may alter the types of bacteria present in the gut and this may impact anxiety-based behaviour.
It is always best to get our nutrients through food because nutrients work better when combined with other nutrients. Taking them together brings more benefit for health than consuming separately.
It is better to focus on a healthful, balanced diet to meet daily requirements for magnesium and to use supplements to backup. It is always best to get advice from your health care professional though before upping your intake through supplementation.
If you would like any further information regarding magnesium and your health please don’t hesitate to contact us at Global Chiropractic on 03 54443388 or email [email protected]
SPECIAL OFFER: Global Chiropractic is currently offering new clients $180 worth of Chiropractic care for just $49. To get your $49 Chiropractic voucher, simply follow the link below: